'Treaty of the Foot of the Rapids/Fort Meigs'
Acrylic on canvas 22" x 28" x 1.5
TREATY OF THE FOOT OF THE RAPIDS/FORT MEIGS 1817
The Treaty was signed between the United States represented by Governor Cass, and the Wyandot and six other Native American tribes. The treaty ceded 1,920 acres of land by the Chippewa, Ottawa, and Potawatomi tribes for a "college at Detroit", and an equal amount to Father Gabriel Richard 's Church. The next month the "First College of Michigania" was decreed; it later moved to Ann Arbor.
The United States ratified at least 367 such treaties with the Indians, many of which it later broke or failed to observe, in spite of the small sums and unequal land swaps the Indians were forced to agree to.
Treaty of the Foot of the Rapids
This painting is on museum wrap canvas which does not require framing (unless preferred.) It can withstand light, but be kept away from extremes of heat and cold. It may be dusted or wiped with a soft, almost-dry cloth to remove any dust.
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.